16 - 17 December 2020
ESCWA organized in cooperation with UNECE, IRU and Euro Med Transport Support Project a capacity building workshop “Implementation of the eTIR International System in the ESCWA region” on 16 and 17 December 2020. The workshop was held online from 10:00 am until 13:00 pm.
The main objectives of this workshop are:
- Analysing the reasons why the development of the TIR system was not so far quite efficient and successful in the ESCWA region as it is the case with other regions.
- Familiarizing the customs authorities with the eTIR International System, the electronic procedure of the TIR system;
- Presenting case studies from countries of the region that has already started implementing eTIR and participating in different pilot projects;
- Presenting the efforts needed to interconnect the national customs systems with the eTIR international system including analysis of the advantages that this new electronic system can bring on trade and border crossings facilitation in the region;
- Presenting the preliminary results of the ongoing ESCWA study on the benefits of collective implementation of e TIR on a land transport corridor connecting Lebanon with UAE
- Taking note of the member countries representatives Interventions (on the status of the international transboundary transport agreement, developments in progress, main challenges, support required ... etc.)